http://www.blogger.com/html?blogID=4316350785635987648 Cave Dwellings: A LITTLE REMINDER THAT WE ARE NOT FAR ENOUGH SOUTH!
Cave Dwellings

Buckhorn Creek, Lake O' The Pines, Jefferson, TX

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A LITTLE REMINDER THAT WE ARE NOT FAR ENOUGH SOUTH!

I would like to give a shout out to Wandering Willy and also “Our Fiver Adventures” , who are asking that we make room in the back seat of the GMC for them…OF COURSE!! Hope you don’t get too crowded back there..Just ignore the candy wrappers and cases of  beer…I didn’t see a blog linked to you “Fiver Adventuresome kids” , so if I missed it, let me know and I will put up a link here for you.

  Well, the DADGUM weather is cold again…I guess I should take solace in the fact that nearly the whole nation is in the deep freeze, courtesy of our Northern neighbors.  Here’s some interesting news…On our walk, we discovered that the dump station in this campground suddenly has yellow tape and orange cones around it……

100_8773…JUST GREAT!!!…McGuyver asked our host what was up, and he relayed the dismaying news…Dump station is plugged up ..and it over flowed..(Man, I’m glad we aren’t camped too close to it..TALK ABOUT TOXIC FUMES!)  Of course, we were planning on dumping our tanks this day…Mr. Host guy said that someone was suppose to be coming to fix it soon…McGuyver is keeping close watch on it.  If it isn’t fixed, we will have to pull in slides, hook on, and take the Hiker to one of the other campgrounds across the dam to dump…and just for the record…that would suck pond water!

  Speaking of the damn dam….

100_8762 

 

 

We walked up by it on our morning walk..which was very cold, I might add. “ Drag out them winter coats, hats and gloves again, Den!!” I haven’t walked much in a week. I was told to rest my foot and not walk the 2 mile regime for one or two weeks.  My heel seems better, but now I have to wear these “orthotics” the foot Doc gave me… in ALL my shoes! ..The  term “orthotics”  even reeks of old age!!! And, get this…. he didn’t’ GIVE them to me…I paid $30.00 for them…I’m not really fond of them, and I think they give me chinsplints…We shall see how long I last with these goofy looking white chunks of hard foam in my shoes.

I found the tree bark on this pine tree , (picture on the right), very intriguing….It almost looks like scales on a tall ,vertical scaly reptile…OK, OK, whatever….It was a slow picture day and I have a vivid imagination!!

100_8765

 

They are doing some construction here at Buckhorn Creek Campground….getting ready for a new shower house and bathrooms….

100_8760100_8763100_8764

…..and they arrived today….Dennis had to inspect them to see that everything was correctly placed in the plumbing department…The bottom picture is where they will just plop these puppies down ,and attach everything afterward…Apparently not much carpentry skills are involved, but lots of “grunt work”….

  I recently put up our little bit of Christmas décor in the Hiker…

100_8754100_8756100_8757

Those “suspenders” hanging in the pic on the right once hung on the front door of our first little one bedroom apartment in Sandwich, 1969…. We were married November of ‘69…and had our first Christmas together one month later…I purchased the stocking/suspenders at the local Five and Dime, then cut letters from white felt and glued them on…(sewing has never been an option for me)…I’m shocked at how long that glue has held up…better than the “gluer”!!!

100_8758100_8759

I know I crab about the cold weather, but we are actually pretty toasty warm here inside the Hiker…so I should keep my big negative mouth shut!

 

100_8766

WITH A SPOT LIKE THIS….WHO COULD COMPLAIN???

15 comments:

  1. Our temps have come up & days have consistantly been in the low to mid 70's. The last few nights have remained above freezing as well. Pretty good for the high desert at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Christmas at your place.

    Maybe you can be the first to use those shiney new toilets! LOL

    Travel Safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey now don't be blaming us northerners for your little 'cold snap'..!
    we feel your pain as you wallow in self pity..poor you..hi hi off to work I go...would much rather be parked next to you in with my winter coat and boots on!..have a great day..nice decorations by the way..it's beginning to look at a lot like Christmas in you little home on wheels!!!..where's our stocking though??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't know about your backseat, but we sure would ike to be parked next to you on the edge of than dammed lake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It isn't any warmer down here on the coast! You may have to go to South America to warm up! I wonder if they have mosquitoes down there?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish our Coachman was in the spot that is empty to you left, but I still have over 900 miles to cover just to get to Dardenne Prairie. You can guess what Dennie and I would be doing at precisely 05:00PM. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    We are: ourfiveradventures.blogspot.com

    Thanks for following us. We hope to hook up down the road some day with you two. I think we would have a grand ole time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As one of your 'Northern Neighbours', I'd just like to let you know that the temperature here in Victoria this morning is a nice balmy 50F!! I'd love to send some warm air down to you, but after blaming us, your loyal northern readers, I think I'll just keep it up here for a while longer.

    Also, could you please post a picture of yourself with "chinsplints"? I never realized that “orthotic” shoes could make your chin go funny. Now, I've heard of shoes causing "shinsplints" before, but you seem to have a real problem! Your 'chinsplints' gives a whole new spin to the term 'foot in mouth' syndrome!! (sure hope your in good humor this morning).

    Now, what else can I say about your post to get me in more trouble?? The Dump Station? Nah, I'd better just leave that one alone!

    Nice Christmas decorations and I do like those Larry King suspenders!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! Funny Rick beat me to teasing about the "Chinsplints"... Great post! That really is a beautiful area! You know, I can't say much about the cold, here Heidi and I are, boondocking in the Arizona Desert and I am still wrapped up in my blanket with my seat heater going and it's after 10AM! I must be getting really wimpy!

    Nice job decorating for the holidays! :)

    -Mike
    97 Roadtrek 170P "Taj Ma Trek"
    HTTP://WWW.VanTramps.Com

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAVE YOU EVER SEEN MY CHIN??? IT WILL TAKE MORE THAN SPLINTS TO HOLD ALL OF THAT THING UP..I SOMETIMES GET IT CAUGHT IN MY WAISTBAND OF MY JEANS!!

    (VERY FUNNY YOU GUYS!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey D&D,
    I'm holdin' down the Stix & Brix in sunny LOL, Florida. Broke the record low last night by 7 degrees, 28 Lovely degrees, and we're much further south than you. You should here the cryin' from my part of the world. Love the writtin', keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Still standing on my head looking at that tree, still don't see it.Lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Howdy Blog Ma! Your fiver looks awfully festive. I tried to come over for that medium rare PRIME RIB you offered to cook me, but I guess you were too busy sniffing around the dump station to feed the hungry. Shame on you!

    Nellie
    http://midlifecruiser.blogspot.com
    (36 year old fulltime RVer living la vida loca with a cute-butt husband and a stink-butt dog!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just stopping in to see if you've gotten in any trouble lately. Darn. No Blog Ma fix today :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I flew back to Burbank today. My pilot's comment on leaving Salt Lake City:

    "Our flight time today is one hour and twenty minutes. The weather in Burbank is as expected: beautiful."

    Head over this way - it's in the 70s!

    ReplyDelete