http://www.blogger.com/html?blogID=4316350785635987648 Cave Dwellings: CAVE PEOPLE DO MARDIS GRAS ..IN THE DESERT
Cave Dwellings

Buckhorn Creek, Lake O' The Pines, Jefferson, TX

Sunday, February 20, 2011

CAVE PEOPLE DO MARDIS GRAS ..IN THE DESERT

  Last year we spent our Mardi Gras in Why, Arizona..Why?, you ask…Yes, Why.  Why is the name of a teeny itsy bitsy little wide spot in the road…an unincorporated town…  It borders the Tohono O’odham Indian Reservation, is due North of Organ Pipe National Monument, and 30 miles North of the Arizona/Mexico border.  This is “Why” we love it..It’s in the middle of BFE..NOWHERE!!

  We were staying in Why, at Hickiwan Trails RV Park and actually we stayed there longer than any place else we have ever stayed.  We stayed 2 months…January and February of last year.…And we stayed through Mardi Gras..WHEW..WHAT A TIME!

 

100_5357

100_5361

Here comes the parade!!!!                                       There GOES the parade!!!

 

Some parade watchers just do NOT know when it’s time to “step away from the camera”….

  After the “parade”, all of the revelers were invited to Ray and Marcia’s place (they own the park) for a huge feed…

2010-02-16

We had muffaletta sandwiches, and all the fixins to go with it…..It was a beautiful day in the desert….and we played hard.

100_5417100_5418

Neither McGuyver nor I could win the Hula Hoop Contest…..But I almost threw my hip out trying…

100_5399

SOME OF US WERE REALLY GETTING INTO THE SPIRIT OF THE DAY…

(I SWEAR THAT NO LIQUOR WAS CONSUMED AT THIS CELEBRATION…NO, REALLY!!)

  I know, I have said we are not group joiners…but it was hard NOT to join in with this party!! 

100_5403100_5422

Did I mention that I am married to a “party animal”??…OK, if you are wondering what the heck Dennis is doing in that second picture..They had a relay contest…You tied panty hose around your waist with a ball dropped down one leg…then you had to roll an orange along by swinging the ball and hitting it down the road….(You can imagine the strange hip movements involved in this activity)….SOOOOOO EMBARASSING…And yes, I did participate, but McGuvyer was too busy laughing to get photos of me…THANK GOD!!

100_5398100_5426

On the left is the King and Queen of Mardis Gras…On the right are the two Illinois people who made absolute fools of themselves…and had a GREAT time doing it…

THANK YOU HICKIWAN RAY AND HIS WIFE, MARCIA,  FOR SUCH WONDERFUL MEMORIES!!!!

THESE CAVE PEOPLE HAD THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES!!!

10 comments:

  1. Hard to believe there was no alcohol involved in that mardi gras celebration. You're telling me that McGuyver did all that stuff stone, cold sober? Pretty amazing.

    Also, why was Why having a Mardi Gras party? In the desert?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Donna I'll bet a lot of bloggers unless they were in the milatary don't know where BFE is, I do,I spent a week one night in East BFE. Dennie looks like he is having too much fun,Hope we can have a Mardi Gras together sometime. Hope the snow misses you we don't have any forecast here.Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with rick, hard to believe all those beads were earned without the benefit of alcohol!

    Lots like a real fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would HAVE to have some alcohol in me in order to swing that thingy between my legs. LOL
    I bet you guys laughed until you cried!! Too funny!!

    Memories.....aren't they wonderful??? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGolly, what a rollicking good time! I had a good time just looking at the pictures. You guys are something else!!! Hope your hips still feel okay tomorrow LOL!!
    Imma gonna hafta visit Why someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a great time ...such party animals you both are!!..no alcohol?..ha!!..don't believe that for a second!!!..thanks for the great trip down memory lane!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been to Why several times, and don't know Why anyone would really like to go to Why. And Why in the world would you wear panty hose around your waist with an orange hanging down? I don't even know Why I'm asking you Why!....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kinda glad we missed all that Mardi Gra stuff at Hickiwan Trails when we were there. Takes me back to my zany drinking days & I'm still trying to live all that ambarrassement down to this very day. It's good like minded people come together for that kind of fun though....just not our cup of tea anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved that "obscene" picture of Himself and his panyhose! What fun in Why, and yes, we've been to Why, and would love to go back.

    Any place can have a Mardi Gras! We're having a small version here in our park in Benson on the actual Fat Tuesday. We'll have beer and brats. But muffaletta sandwiches? Oh my, how delightful. We learned about them in New Orleans way back then, and Suzy has made them a few times at home. Thanks for the reminder -- now I have to suggest to SUzy that she make them again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You party animals! What a bash!

    ditto~Judy and Emma
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete