http://www.blogger.com/html?blogID=4316350785635987648 Cave Dwellings: July 4th memories….
Cave Dwellings

Buckhorn Creek, Lake O' The Pines, Jefferson, TX

Sunday, July 8, 2012

July 4th memories….

Because of the drought, our fireworks were cancelled here in Sandwich…and I have no problem with that.  By the looks of the grass around here, it wouldn’t take much to set this town ablaze…However, that doesn’t stop the pyrotechnic geeks who are lighting off stuff in their backyards…sheesh!

We did have a parade, however, and I took the usual family photos..Then, I got to thinking (yes, I actually DO think…on occasion), and I went back to compare who I have taken pictures of over the past few years…Of course the grandkids are a given…

2006-07-01Above are photos from parade, 2006.. Upper left, cousin Scott (black T) was still able to walk..And just notice  how little the Heiser kids were…

 

2010-07-02 July 4th 2010

Above collage is from parade, 2010..Den with his “on again off again” mustache, the kids, Ter and Campbell, and …Scott is now in a wheelchair….time marches on.

 

This last collage is from this year….

07-08-2012

Biggest change is the kids…Aunt Juanita in upper right, age 93..she NEVER changes…and poor Scotty is no longer with us…He is now walking and whole, and in a better place.

 

CHECK OUT THESE NEXT 2 PHOTOS…I LOVE IT!

101_2913

2008, the Heiser kids and pal, Jessica……and 2012, this year…Boy, am I getting old!!

 

We have been sweltering here in the past week, enjoying  tolerating 5 consecutive days of 100 degrees or over…So…I know that many of you are wondering why we didn’t just go sleep in the Hiker, where we have A/C…I know you were thinking to yourselves, “Boy, are they dumb!”…eh??? See?, I know you all pretty good… Well, McGyver did suggest that very thing , but I was the one who said no…Why did I say “NO” to a pretty easy question?…I said that because I know ME..Once I succumbed to the coolness of our air conditioned camper, I would not come out.  I would become destined to live there without TV, food, Dennis (you KNOW he would come out), or a workable toilet…(we have no sewer hook-up here)..Once inside, I would stubbornly NOT put even a teensy itsy part of my body back in the hot outside…Nope… I, personally, was much better off living in the “hot cave”, bitching, taking cool showers, and sleeping with 3 fans blowing on me…AND..I SURVIVED!!!! A blessed cool front came in last evening, the temp dropped to 85, and we now have a wonderful cooling breeze…but, unfortunately, that front was rainless…the drought lives on.

Here is a question for our Bird Lady of Blogland…Are birds affected by this heat???…and do they hang out with their mouths beaks wide open for a reason?? Is it cooling????

101_2949 101_2950

This dude was drinking some nasty water from our birdbath, but spent most of an entire 30 minutes sitting on the side with his beak open Don’t birds have to swallow?…I know, I know…our birdbath is green…I do keep water in it, but it’s darn hard in this heat to keep algae from growing…I scrubbed it and refilled it the minute Mr. BigBeak left…(Maybe he was doing the “beak” thing as a way complaining about the state of the birdbath, but I know I’ve seen birds drink out of dirty mud puddles, so don’t give me that!!)

Every July 4th celebration includes a 5K run and it always goes right by our house…

101_2951101_2952

This affords Den and I an opportunity to have coffee on our front porch, while these poor “run loving suckers” are pacing their butts off…I took these pics out our front door…And NO!  McGyver and I do NOT  run, we walk….thank you very much..

OK, this has been a little lengthy, and since the day is gorgeous, I should get outside and enjoy it…Finally, I can decrease my 3 times daily shower to one, and quit stockpiling deodorant and baby powder on my shelves …Thanks for reading to the bottom, for those who actually stayed awake !!

Leadership involves finding a parade and getting in front of it.

~John Naisbitt

13 comments:

  1. I have been thinking along the lines of macerator pump for emptying the black tank at the Ranch,I have a sewer clean out right in front of one of the garage door, just unscrew it, screw the hose adapter in and you have a sewer line.Only trouble is the cost, just like everything else neat for an RV almost $200. The tire pressure monitors I have looked at are expensive too. They only come with 4 sensors and they additional four I would need are $50 a piece, another $200, plus the $250 cost of the unit. Sheesh don't they know I'm retired and not bringing in the big bucks anymore, and Donna is working two jobs. The kids are getting big, mine too. but there more fun that way and you don't mind tossing them in the pool when they get in your hair. Hey be safe out there, won't be long until it's Miller time here at the ranch and in the morning, I'm off to the Lake...Be safe out there. Sam & Donna.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. We have friends who just rent a motel room and lounge around on the bed watching videos (at least that's what they say they do) during these heat waves. Heck, they may even order room service.... Truthfully, the heat doesn't bother me, but I can say that since we're up in Maine wearing jeans, wool socks and sweat shirts. Anyway, hope it cools down soon there in Sandwich and you get a big, soaking rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  3. That cool front rolled through our neighborhood late Saturday & how nice to wake up this morning to more humanlike civilized temps. Makes a big difference to one's energy levels & overall outlook:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  4. We cracked 80F for the first time this year but only a few degrees over. It was plenty hot enough for us though as we generally stay in the mid-70's during the summer months.

    I hope the 100 degree stuff you've been getting is over for a while but, heck, it's only early July and there's still the dog days of August to come. I think you should start preparing yourself for some time in the Hiker. Just a 'cooling off' period.

    Great pics of the family over the years - kids grow like weeds, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  5. a belated happy 4th of July to you and your family, Donna!..looks like you all had a ton of fun as always!..the kids sure grow up quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its been so hot even the dogs don't want to go out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. its been toasty around here too...our dogs run out do their business and run back into the a/c ...I can handle it as long as I have a/c....but I know what you mean by sleeping in the rig...I wouldn't want to go back out either if it was me...have a super weekend...I'm playing blog catch up this morning...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's pretty hot here in Nebr. today and supposed to be pretty toasty for the coming week. If this moves your direction you might want to consider heading to Wally World and scoring a window AC. They're noisy but it beats sweltering in the heat & humidity.

    ReplyDelete