http://www.blogger.com/html?blogID=4316350785635987648 Cave Dwellings: Decisions, decisions, decisions….
Cave Dwellings

Buckhorn Creek, Lake O' The Pines, Jefferson, TX

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Decisions, decisions, decisions….

My, my…seems I have been stretching the time between my blogging to the max lately…I have been pretty busy here…

20140810_131526 …our tomatoes are beginning to ripen, sooooo…I have been making spaghetti sauce!

Dennis and I have been busy too…

20140811_102552 20140811_102424

…taking 7 huge garbage bags of crushed cans to get some CASH!..109lbs @ .60 a lb came to $65 +change!! (FYI, not ALL of them were beer cans!)

I have been busy taking photos of a few clouds…

20140811_195150101_5690

…and…I  had a visit one of my Sandwich High School classmates that I hadn’t seen for years/ He surprised Den and me a few days ago….

20140810_153255 Meet Mr. Patrick Waite.  Pat is a huge hunter and outdoorsman, and he lives just 70 miles North of us.  I should also mention that Pat is a distant cousin of Dennis’s…small world, right?

Oh, yes…I have also been busily planning our Winter trip, hoping to spend some time in Florida.  Our family has been going to Florida since our son was 2 years old…that would be 42  years.  We had so many trips to  Disneyworld that I made a collage and it hangs on our wall….

20140810_102238

If you look close, you will see the “Cave Family” at many stages of their lives through the years…Mickey was a close personal friend….

However, most of my time has been spent busily looking into a good surgeon for my NEXT parathyroid excavation…I did a LOT of  research. I was told by many peeps that I should go to a University Hospital for my next “opening”.. I found a highly recommended Doc at Chicago University Medical Center.  I emailed him and (surprise surprise!)he emailed me back that he would be glad to see me…But I also had some good  help hunting for a doc. Our daughter Chris (who works at Indiana University Medical  Center in Indy) asked her boss whom he would recommend there for this type of surgery. Her boss is a Vascular Surgeon, and has been at IU Health for 30 years. He gave Chris a name of a surgeon down there that he thought I should look into.  Very gratefully, I contacted that Doctor by email… Surprisingly, he also got right back to me…within an hour after I sent the email!   Sooo I now had 2 options good on my plate.  Long story short, I decided to go to Indianapolis…Having some family there and a daughter working there was the determining factor. Decision MADE!!

I made the appointment today. I will be seeing Dr. Michael Moore (NO, not the movie maker) on Oct. 21st.  Dr Moore said he needs my records, reports and labs from here and he will do some tests of his own.  He does many surgical “revisions”, and is a head, and neck surgeon specializing in Cancer.  My surgery won’t happen until next Spring. I really don’t want anyone cutting on my neck just now, and Dr. Moore said it would be best to let everything heal. (I’m still having some swallowing issues..GRRRRR!) I am, however, feeling really good about my decision. Also, Den and I will be going to babysit Chris’s kids in middle of November, so if I need further appointments I can make some for then…I think I made the BEST decision..Being pro-active in your own healthcare is a MUST! these days.

OK, this was a dumb blog.  I will try to “bring it”the next time I decide to create some drivel on the computer. Now that my brain isn’t so full of decision making, I can get back to my sick humored,  politically incorrect, often disturbing (but VERY stylish) SELF!! tee heee..  Now HERE is a big decision….

Just couldn’t help myself…Yup…I’m sick humored…

14 comments:

  1. When I opened your post, I thought that first picture was a big ugly pancake. Good thing I can read. If Mr. Smith wasn't keeping me supplied in tomatoes, I'd be drooling over your abundance.

    As for the surgery, sounds like you made a good decision for you. Having family close at hand is a big plus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,Judy...By the looks of the way our tomatos are coming on, I will be making salsa, stewed tomatos, and much more spaghetti sauce!!

      Delete
  2. I think this was a good blog, Donna, especially regarding your decision on selecting a good doctor for your next surgery. I think it was extremely wise of you to be proactive and take care of this early. Now, you can go ahead and enjoy your winter vacation in Florida with your friend Mickey Mouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rick...I have been very lax in blogging lately, but how much can you say about staying home in a small town? I do think my decision was spot on...and we will definitely enjoy Florida this Winter...and plan on a "medical" Spring.

      Delete
  3. I agree with what Rick said. Nothing wrong with your post & in fact may help someone else who may be in a similar decision making situation. Keep on pluggin..................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep...Al, I think thyroid and parathyroid disease is a little known one...and it can cause all sorts of problems, some serious ones. I feel very confident in seeing this doc at Indiana University Hospital...I hope he is ready for my sick humor..tee hee.

      Delete
  4. Great decision!! I bet you feel like a huge weight has been lifted off your shoulders!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DO!! Making decisions isn't my strong point, but I am lucky to have a daughter in the medical field at an outstanding hospital complex!

      Delete
  5. I am soooo happy that you are going to Indiana University Medical Center!!! I cannot describe how blessed we feel to have the best physicians taking care of John and now taking care of you. I'm sorry we will miss you, but do not want to do Indiana in the winter again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, I knew you would be thrilled... I use to work for an Optometrist and he got bone Cancer. He went weekly to Indiana University Medical to get his chemo....not Chicago...That really surprised me, but his GP sent him there from Sandwich...He went into remission and lived another 10 years...

      Delete
  6. Glad to hear you've had a good crop of tomatoes and turning them into yummy sauce. Health issues are always so much fun... grrr. Sounds like you're being proactive. I love Disney World. It's been way too long since I was last there. Hopefully you'll be visiting this winter so I can armchair visit with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We won't be in Disneyworld this year....unless we change our plans...I love it too. We use to take our kids there many,many summer vacations ago...Boy, it was HOT in July!!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing your decision process. I like it and the choice sounds like a great one. Hope it all works out well. I admire your approach to the whole thing. Hope you have a great time in Florida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally wouldn't get so explicit about my medical mysteries, but I think parathyroid issues are overlooked by many...and they can really be bad for your health if one goes wacko, like mine.

      Delete